Ampersand T-shirt DIY

A few weeks ago, I spotted Krystin in this fabulous ampersand tee and thought what a great DIY this would be. While it doesn't come out quite like hers, I kind of love the final product.

What you will need:
A tee shirt
A pen
Sewing pins
Fabric paint
A printer
Scissors

Start off with a plain tee in any color you choose. I picked up this gray one for about ten dollars at Target. They have just about every color but for some reason I am always drawn to gray.

Then, print out the image that you want to put on your shirt.  I recommend printing on cardstock or some other thicker paper as you will want something sturdy when you pin it later on. As I mentioned, I loved the ampersand on Krystin's shirt and wanted one of my own. You can do this DIY with any shape or symbol though.

The next step is to lay out your shirt on a flat surface. I chose my mini ironing board that turned out to be a perfect size. Plus, it was easy enough to move around and I was able to paint the fabric while sitting on the couch.

Be sure to put something underneath the fabric so the paint does not leak through. I used a magazine but cardboard or newspaper will do the trick too.

Cut out the image that you printed out. Once you figure out where you want the image on your shirt, pin it in place so it doesn't move while you trace it.

Trace along the image. I used a pen because I wanted an "outline" of black around the white but you can use a pencil or fabric pencil too. Just make sure that you know how it washes out (or doesn't) with the fabric you are using.

At this point, you can remove the pinned image and you should have a very light outline of your image drawn on the shirt.

Here is the fun part: paint in the image with any color you choose. After I printed the ampersand in black I almost went with black paint but am so happy I opted to stick with the white. 

Let the paint dry for about 24 hours and follow the washing instructions on your fabric paint.
Here is my final product:

Follow on Bloglovin

Don't forget to enter my giveaway to win a Shabby Apple gift card!

1 comment:

  1. OMG this is amazing. I'm definitely giving this a try it looks so simple and chic. Thank you for sharing.

    Marlene Detierro (Kiwi Fruit)

    ReplyDelete