T-shirt DIY

As I mentioned last week, one of my favorite striped shirts had a big hole in the back and it was time to retire the shirt. Instead of throwing it away, I wanted to turn it into a different shirt and see what I could come up with. While I am still very new to the sewing world, I am pretty excited with how this turned out.


I started with one of Brad's old t-shirts that he had put in a pile to get rid of. I picked this one a) because of the color and b) because it is so soft. I was bummed to see it in his "get rid of" pile but was thrilled at the same time because it was up for grabs for re-purposing.


I layed the shirt out and thought about how I wanted to attempt changing the shape. I decided that the best way to figure out what size I wanted was to grab another shirt of mine and lay it on top. I know how this shirt fits so I thought it might be easier (and safer!) than trying to pin a shirt while it was on.


After I figured out the size of the shirt, I cut the sides, and the sleeves, off of the blue shirt. I was left with what looked like a bib with a back. I then cut the sleeves on my striped tee and added them to the sides of the blue shirt. I have never sewn shoulders before so this was a learning process. I must haveg gotten lucky because somehow the stripes are still going the right direction.


After sewing on the sleeves, I stitched up the sides of the shirt and ran to my room to try it on.

6 comments: